Jul 22 2011

Anonymous Won’t Publish Stolen NATO Documents

AntisecFollowing the arrest of 16 individuals in the U.S. and five in the U.K. and the Netherlands who are allegedly connected to the various cyber attacks organized by Anonymous, the hacktivist group continues its mission unabated.

According to the claims the group made on their Twitter account, they have managed to hack the servers of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and exfiltrate around one GB of its restricted and confidential documents.

To prove the veracity of their assertions, they have also published two of those documents – one classified as “NATO Restricted” – but said that they would not publish the rest of them as it would be irresponsible of them. NATO has said that its security experts are investigating the group’s claims.

In the meantime, the LulzSec hackers have stated that they are currently working with certain media outlets who have been granted exclusive access to some of the News of the World emails the group got their hands on, even though Anonymous has previously stated that they would not release The Sun emails because they might compromise the ongoing court case against the news corporation.

Sabu, one of the members of LulzSec, has also shared that the News International emails just part of the data the group has in its posession.

Both groups have not commented on whether the individuals arrested at the beginning of the week had anything to do with them, except for saying that they show respect for the “fallen anons”.